Tuesday 18 December 2007

He giveth & giveth & giveth & giveth...

There have been some rather trying situations for some my friends at church recently. We had an ad-hoc prayer meeting on Sunday where we used the song 'He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater'

This has been particularly special for me since my mum died of cancer back in 2000. She really struggled with her faith until her last few weeks. This song was used at her funeral and memorial servces but what really struck me then and still does now, even though all the words seem powerful, is the sond verse:

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength is failed ere the day is half-done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

Whenever I read or sing this I wonder when I'm really going to believe it. I know that it's true in the theological / theoretical sense, but belief that puts it in action is often something quite different.

One of the many conclusions that I've come to recently, due in part to my reading material, is that if we want to see miracles such as healing, miraculous provision and even salvation, then we need to have given everything. It occurs to me that it's only when we know we have nothing left to give and that we can do no more than rely on God for a miracle, that He steps in.

It makes sense I guess. Why should God do the miraculous just to make life easier?

1 comment:

Graeme Smith said...

Just discovered your blog! I love this song as well and have certainly found it to be true over the last few years, especially the last 12 months!

Look forward to seeing more from you!